My Terramundi Pot

Friday 20 February 2015

Hey everyone!

For my 23rd birthday, I got this great Terramundi Pot. For those that don't know, Terramundi pots have been used in Italy for over 2000 years. Traditionally, once the first coin is put inside, the pot must be fed until completely full. Then, to get the money out, it must be smashed whilst making a wish. When filled, they are supposed to hold £200 - £1000, depending on what you put in it of course. We decided to put just pound coins in.



After they are smashed, they should be replaced and the money should be spent on something great. They are supposed to bring good fortune!

So, as you know. Greg and I are getting married in September and funds are tight. Although our pot was not completely full, I thought it was about time we cracked it open to put towards the wedding. I had already bought a replacement as I think they are a totally fantastic idea.

Firstly, I walked around carrying it for a while.. I had literally no idea how I was going to smash this without making a massive mess! I got out my mini hammer and dinked the pot a few times but each time, I was too scared to use force!

I was also sad to say goodbye to it. It is so pretty and I have had it for two years..

Once I smashed mine, I thought I would look into it further, to see what other people have done with theirs - turns out that people normally smash theirs carefully and use it as a plant pot or something similar.. Whoops.

Eventually, I put the pot in a tea towel lined carrier bag and dropped it on the kitchen floor. Perfect - no mess!

The result? 


Not bad huh? £331.20 - I have no idea where the 20p came from..!

I also forgot I had put this in - I am glad I beat the target!


Do you have something like this? How do you save around the house?


Disclosure: all opinions stated in this post are my own. I only post reviews about products that I am passionate about and think you should all know about! Thank you for reading :)

14 comments :

  1. i never heard of that but i wanna do sothing like that for my kids thanks for sharing !! know i just need to find one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They are great fun. The UK site has a list of stockists around the USA - you can also buy from the site :)
      http://www.terramundi.co.uk/mall/infopageviewer.cfm?store=Terramundi2&pagename=usa

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of this but it sounds fun and like a great savings tool! We've been in massive wedding planning mode and literally have gotten everything together in just two weeks. I wish I would have had one of these to break open to help pay for everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has definitely been a help! I am starting the next one for any other events that need last minute planning and money - it is so great because I can't sneak any of the money out before it is smashed!

      I am excited for your wedding!

      Delete
  3. What a fun idea! And I love that you surpassed your goal by so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cool concept! I had never heard of this before.

    xo katie // a touch of teal

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't heard of this. My husband is Italian and I think it would be a great tradition to honor is heritage to start.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so cool!! our nephew has a piggy, and my hubby sneaked a $20 bill in there, hehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so great! As you can see in the pic, my guy snuck a £20 in too! It was a nice surprise!

      Delete
  7. Oh wow this is awesome, firstly a beautiful post and secondly I think you did great job saving it up until when absolutely necessary. Congrats on your impending wedding.

    ReplyDelete